Monday, January 17, 2011

Kill the dumpling!

Homemade dumpling  (1th test :-) )


When I go to Chinese restaurant there's two things are a must for me ! 1 th is the steamed dumplings.
In Italy also called "ravioli al vapore"  .
2 Nd are spring rolls , in Italy called "involtino primavera". 
Till some times ago I even though this kind of recipes are almost impossible to do at home!! Some magic recipe with exotic ingredients !
In last period I often hear from Estee that she prepared it with her Asian friends at their food "party" and dinner. Then I watched at uncle Phil blog a recipe about spring rolls. There s some difficult about it, I think here the particular "wrappers" are almost impossible to find. Estee suggest me to go to Asian shop. What you can do if you don't have Asian shops in your town ? Eh eh Thanks to INTERNET I find an Italian site that talk about involtini , they put recipe too. And much important for me, they explain in how to do wrappers yourself!! this is Italian way , if you don't have, do it yourself !! aahah
Another "Everest" recipe are sushi and tempura. I think I can try with tempura, for sushi I need to learn more about preparation. It looks very specific and very "perfect" food.
Anyway first try is with dumplings, first consideration about my result, is the shape. Honestly I didn't made the right shape for it , I have to try again and again ;-) 
In my mind I have our Italian ravioli shape, or even the regional agnolotti.
Following a Chinese blog , with the recipe , I was very surprised about the preparation. I have my way to think , for example I immediately saw two differences. No salt, in the knead and no red of egg. Italian homemade pasta in knead have always some salt and often the red of some eggs (it depending of quantity of flour).
For the recipe I needed pork meat and leeks , but I didn't had it so I put beef meat and spinachs . (Red and green at last isn't it ? Same colors .. :-)) meat for meat and veggy for veggy ..) 
Another funny things , is that to remember the word "dumpling" I had some difficult , I don't know why, but I kept to think to it as "ravioli" in my mind!!
Later I put also some pictures about preparation of "my" dumpling! 
The taste at the end was quite good for me, I find it enough similar to the one I ate at Chinese restaurant! Parents enjoy it too... 
Any comments and suggestion in preparing it are welcome!!
If some Asian people read this , please forgive me to kill the dumplings ;-)



3 comments:

  1. You are getting there...for the first time cooking Asian food..you are consider very brave and good...I think sooner or later all the restuarant will closed door in Turin .. Bravo!!! I can not wait to see your other Asian recipe..will be eye opening!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good start! I am sure you are ot the killing the dishes rather starting a revival to the traditional dishes we are missing at the home front.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Zio Phil ! I love the dare to do something very different ;-)

    ReplyDelete