Sunday, February 6, 2011

Korean Sweet Potato Vermicelli



Ever heard of Korean noodle made from sweet potato starch?
As you can see , it is a thin long, translucent noodle with a chewy texture. They are perfect for steam boat, stir fired and even soup! They are similar to cellophane noodles, except they are slightly thicker and tougher.

To prepare: Place the noodles in a heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over the noodles, and let them stand for 10 to 15 minutes, until noodles have soften.
Cooking Time: When the noodles are added to a stir-fry or to soup, further cooking is accomplished during the cooking of the dish.

I have been sick these day, really no apetite at all! Soup is normally what I eat when I am sick. My Mum used to make bee hoon soup for me, it´s just like a comfort food where I only get it from Mum who specially prepared it just for me when I am sick! Nowaday, Mum not there anymore! But I have someone who are just like my Mum, he gave me alot of advise on what I should eat and how to prepared it. Yes, he is my savior, Doctor Fabio!

My chinese girlfriend had this Korean Noodle at her steam boat party some weeks ago, I thought I really like the consistence of the noodle, kids love it too! Even Nelina who is not so fond of noodles love it!

To make this wonderful noodles, I first cooked the noodle as stated from the packing..with hot boiling water and later cooled it in ice cold water to restore it´s elasticity. No oil is needed to spearate the noodle because it does´nt really stick to one another.


I then prepare the soup with chicken broth, soya sauce, seasame oil and lots of white pepper. I like it peppery so all my germs from my nostril could be clear once it and for all!
I also prepared some boiled vegetables and chicken meat. Instead of cooking together with the noodle, I like to stir-fried it separately. I know, this step is not typical chinese, I did this because the chicken are more tastier this way.
I marinated the chicken with ginger juice, soya sauce, corn floor and pepper..
then stir fried them for 15 mins in a hot pan till golden in colour.
To serve this, I reboil the noodle & vegetables in the soup for 30 seconds, I later pour everything in a big bowl and garnish it with stir-fried chicken, chilly sambal and more white pepper! Serve this noodle piping hot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment