Sunday, February 6, 2011

Wontan noodles

Ok, may be I was desperate..I badly needed a wontan noddle fix..so despite of what I do not have to make the "real" wontan noodle, I decided to make my own version with all the ingredient I can find at home. Wontan noodle is comfort food for me, I grew up eating that almost 3-5 times a week and I never got sick of it. If I am on my dead bed, I would request for the wontan noodle from Geylang.
To prepare this mouth watering dish, and without pork at home..I created this meal using minced beef as filling for my wontan. First I mixed all the 250 gm of beef, finely chopped leeks and black fungus with 1 egg yolk, 1 table light soya sauce, 1 teaspoon of salt & sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of seasame oil and white pepper. I then left them alone to make-out in the bowl.


Instead of BBQ pork, I used boiled chicken breast cooked with ginger,garlic and salt. After cooking for at least 15 min in medium heat.



I strained the chicken stock and use it to cook the cabbage,once again I do not have choy sum, so I replace it with some italian sallad.


Here in Sweden, it´s not so easy to find fresh vegetable like choy sum, pak choy, kai lan at supermarket. So far I could only buy it once a week at the local Asian food supermarket. This is consider very luxury compare to other part of Sweden inland,in which did´nt even had any Asian store.
I started to appreciate our Singapore wet market, it may not smell good there but you can buy all kind of fresh vegetable, meat, seafood etc.. I missed also the local dialect in Singapore, everybody is so causal..wearing short and t-shirt at market, speaking dialect like no body business..the atmosphere & memories is simply most memorable!
Ok, back to our dish..I wrapped the wontan with ready made wontan skin..and cooked them two ways..boil & deep fried! I like both, the boil one is more healthy of course.
Because I like to serve everything piping hot, I decided to make the gravy in advance so I can mixed it with the freshly cooked noodle once they are ready.
For the gravy, again I used what is available from my fridge..for 1 portion of 150gm noodle, I mixed half table spoon of light, a drop of seasame oil, half tablespoon dark soya, 2 tablespoon of chilly sauce, 1 teaspoon or 2 of ready made thai chilly padi if you like your face to be red, I also add 1 tablespoon of Ketchep..ok I know Fabio is definately gonna comment about ketchep in my food again, but this is exactly what they used in Singapore. So dont be mad at me ok Fabio? You can also add 1 table spoon olive oil if you are not afraid to grow horizontally.


It´s almost impossible to find freshly made noodle here..to get this dry wontan noodle..the chinese say..you have to 偷笑 "Steal a laugh" mean you should consider lucky! I cooked the noodle for 10 mintues, in really hot boiling water , once it is ready..I quickly removed access water & transfer it to my sauce mix.


End result, Nelina was at home when it was done..I quickly picked up my chopstick and dive in! Everything else seem unimportant anymore..just me & the wontan noodles!!! It was no doubt far from the one at Geylang but I enjoyed every bit of it! After 1 big plate , I settled down on my couch infront of the fire place with a my cup of espresso .. feeling satisfied!

Boiled wontan dumpling


Deep fried wontan dumpling

2 comments:

  1. You made a great dish considering the fact that the ingredients are so scarce there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Katerina! They said people eventually will learn how to swim when pushed into water! We human are so fantastic, we know how to seek alternatives and often am happy with changes.

    ReplyDelete